Thursday, March 8, 2018

Library reveal continued. Living room teaser.

The last time we visited, I showed you our dining-room-turned-library. With just the two of us, we have no need for a formal dining area, and we have more than enough books to create a library, it seemed the right thing to do.

Last week, I showed you this cat perch:

This was my grandfather's chair.
 Then, we turn the corner:

The books on the left are mine to read; the books on the right belonged to my step-father.
 From this angle, you can see the bird cage better:

I found the bird cage at a swap meet long ago. It was marked 75¢. There was a discussion, but I still ended up paying way less than $5. I found the stand at another time, and I'm not sure how much I paid for that.
 This is what I call my specimen cabinet:

In the top part behind glass are shells and rock specimens. The exposed jars are full of naturals, like seeds and pods, more shells and a turtle shell. I have collected these type of things for a very long time. Here are some close-ups:



And, on top of this hutch is this:

A picture of weeds and another bird cage.
 Then, there is a break in this wall with an opening that goes to the kitchen. After that are more pictures all the way to the fish tank.

Notice sweet Tulip under the table. There was bound to be a photo that included at least one cat!
 And, here is the table of boxes, which I also feel compelled to collect:

Sans kittie.

Well...that concludes the library reveal. But, as promised, I will tease you with a peek at something in the PINK, yes PINK, living room.

Because we have cats, we don't have mini blinds, curtains or drapery to cover our windows. Cats consider windows their own personal live TV, and as such, the windows must never be covered. Keeping that in mind, I created a valance of sorts:

One of two windows in the living room. Both are done using similar flowers and greenery. Check out the ugly shed in the back yard. Didn't think this one through!
There are still some things in the living room that belong elsewhere. We recently purchased a shelving unit for the garage where our extra decor will go. It just needs to get a little warmer so we can move things around in the garage. When we get the living room ready, we will have a full reveal.

I hope you've enjoyed what I could show you. I also hope you can return next week. 

Where I'm showing off:
 Share Your Style #160
Vintage Charm Party #123 
Create, Bake, grow & Gather Party #305 
Snickerdoodle Create, Bake, Make Link Party No. 222 

From bird cages to boxes ... and everything in between ...

5 comments:

  1. Love that you made your dining room into a library! Oh yes, windows are cat TV for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Tangie-cat came to live with us, he would pace and go from window to window. I think he was making sure everything was alright. I don't believe he had ever been an indoor cat, and being inside probably filled him with anxiety. I'm sure he felt better when he could as least SEE the outside. He has since stopped that behavior. Whew! That was anxiety producing for us also! Now, he and his siblings look out the windows simply for pleasure.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My glass front door is my cats' TV. Heaven only knows what they watch at night! I enjoyed your specimen hutch and the novel ways you have displayed your shells and rocks. My living room has 4 bookcases--so far. I tell people I put them on outside walls to serve as insulation; some people even believe me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what Tangie sees at night. He's shown me. It seems he can see through the reflections when the light is on inside. One night it was a small herd of deer, and another night it was an o'possum who I named Ophelia. {I tend to name some of our wildlife visitors.}

      Thank you for your nice comment about how my "specimens" are displayed. It's really a fun arrangement.

      I love your story about the bookcases! What a hoot!

      I'm glad you visited!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh you got that birdcage for 75 cents? That's a real steal! Love it. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete